Baked salmon with pickled red onions, fennel, and radish in a mango and avocado salad.
I cooked for Mum and Dad tonight. The salmon is from Morgan’s Seafood Market at Scarborough.
- Cos lettuce
- Cherry tomatoes
- Orange juice
- Orange zest
- Lime juice
- Lime zest
- Red onion
- Remove the zest from a lime and an orange.
- Remove the juice from the orange and lime and put the juice and zest into a small bowl.
- Slice the radishes, red onion, and fennel and put into the citrus juices.
- Add a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of sugar.
- Mix the sliced radish, red onion, and fennel through the ‘pickling’ solution.
- Allow to sit for 30 minutes.
- Preheat an oven to 200 °C (392 °F).
- Brush the salmon fillets with a high vapour point oil. All I could find in Mum’s kitchen was peanut oil.
- Place the salmon skin-side up on a baking sheet.
- Season the skin with a little salt and pepper.
- Put the salmon into the oven for 15 minutes.
- Shred some cos lettuce.
- Dice the cheeks of an avocado.
- Cut dices from a mango.
- Slice some cherry tomatoes into halves.
- Put the lettuce, mango, avocado, and cherry tomatoes into a salad bowl.
- Drain the radish, red onion, and fennel of the ‘pickling’ juices and put the radish, red onion, and fennel into the salad bowl and toss the salad. Do not look up “tossed the salad” in Urban Dictionary.
- When the salmon is cooked, remove it from the oven and allow it to rest for a few minutes.
- Plate up the salmon next to some salad on a dinner plate.
Please leave a comment