Today was a pea and ham soup sort of day. I’ll have enough of this for lunches this week. I won’t be lighting any matches tonight that’s for sure.
- Green split peas (500 grams)
- Queensland nut oil (1 tablespoon)
- Leek (2, sliced)
- Garlic (1 clove, crushed)
- Baby green peas (1 cup, frozen)
- Broccolini (1 bunch)
- Celery (4 stalks)
- Ham hock (1)
- Leaf of Bay (1)
- Water (2 litres)
- Whole green peppercorns (1 tin)
- Iodised salt
- Sauté the leeks and garlic first.
- Add everything (sans frozen baby green peas) into the slow cooker.
- Turn the slow cooker on for 6 hours.
- Remove the ham hock and dissect the muscle away from the bone.
- Rip and tear the muscle bundles into smaller pieces.
- Purée the soup with a stick blender and add the frozen baby green peas while blending.
- Add the ham to the puréed soup and season to taste.
- Aliquot some for dinner and keep the rest refrigerated in a container.
- Be prepared to fart all night.
If you click on an image you can scroll through the rest. If you’re using an older version of Internet Explorer for Windows, the gallery doesn’t really work. I suggest you use Google Chrome or get a Mac.