The skin is gnarly because I received a text message from work while I was cooking it and I had to attend to that rather than the salmon. Things got sticky.
- Salmon (with skin)
- Kale sprouts
- Queensland nut oil
- Iodised salt
- Whole black peppercorns
- Cooking sherry
- Heat up a cast-iron skillet.
- Rub the skin of the salmon fillet with oil.
- Season the salmon fillet with salt.
- Put the salmon into the skillet with the skin-side down to sear the skin. Cook for a few minutes and then turn and cook on each side of the fillet.
- Remove the salmon and allow it to rest on a plate.
- Put the broccolini and kale sprouts into the cast-iron skillet and add a glug of sherry to help deglaze the pan and permit the formation of water vapour to cook the vegetables (with the lid on the skillet) for a few minutes.
- Remove the broccolini and kale sprouts and transfer to the plate with the rest salmon.
- Add a knob of butter to the skillet and melt to form a simple sauce for the salmon.
- Season the salmon with freshly ground black peppercorns.
Thoughts on the meal
It’s Monday so for me that means salmon. It’s a great way to start the workweek.