Last week I concocted a congee with Italian Arborio rice and tri-colour quinoa. I used pulled chicken thigh meat and bacon as the meat.
Tonight, I have pulled beef short rib and Speck for lux congee.
- Beef short rib fingers (3)
- Diced Speck (100 g)
- Dried anchovies (1 handful)
- Italian arborio rice (1 cup)
- Tri-colour quinoa (1 cup)
- Beef stock (6 cups)
- Soy sauce
- Fried shallots
- Wash the rice and quinoa with cold water until the water is clear and not cloudy.
- Put the rice and quinoa into the vessel of a slow cooker.
- Add in the stock.
- Add in the beef short rib fingers and Speck.
- Cook on low heat for 8 hours.
- Remove the cooking vessel and pull out the rib fingers. Pick the meat from the ribs, pull the muscle fibres apart, and add the beef back to the cooking vessel. Unless you leave the beef short rib fingers out for a few minutes, you’ll find the process of removing the meat unpleasant as the tips of your fingers burn from the retained heat. I recommend waiting or trying to ameliorate the problem by wearing a couple of latex gloves on each hand to dampen the transfer of heat from the meat to your nerve ending enriched fingertips.
- With a wooden spoon (or a metal spoon if you don’t care about scratching your cookware), mix the beef through the congee (also known as jook).
- Remove the congee from the cooking vessel and aliquot into containers.
- Serve a bowl of congee with some soy sauce and fried shallots.
- Given thanks to the Lord and eat with a spoon.
- How would you make congee more luxurious?
- Do you like adding dried anchovies to give your meals a little more umami?
- What’s been the highlight of your week?
What’s happened this week?
This past week has been great. Work has been busy and exciting. I am so very grateful for the fantastic people with who I work.
Apart from work, I’ve enjoyed reading Don Carson’s book, “Praying with Paul”. I’ve also been bingeing on YouTube videos featuring Alistair Begg. I love his mixture of humour and seriousness with a gloriously compelling Scottish accent.
Lux is short for luxury.
Please leave a comment