So tonight I tried something a little different. Sometimes when I cook a strip of pork belly, in an effort to get some crackling, the muscle meat may become a little dry. To protect the muscle meat I tried tying metal knives on either side of the strip and hoping the metal would conduct sufficient heat to cook my pork flesh and prevent too much dehydration from the meaty surface.
It worked perfectly. The crackling was fantastic and the porky muscle meat was tender, juicy, and succulent.
- Pork belly
- Iodised salt
- Drumhead cabbage
- Red cabbage
- Hoisin sauce
- Black bean sauce
- Chicken stock
- Turn on an oven to 200 °C.
- Lay baking paper on a baking sheet.
- Tie two metal knives on either side of the pork belly strip with cooking twine.
- Put the knife-clad pork belly strip on the baking sheet and season the pork integument with iodised salt and put the baking sheet with the pork into the oven for 40 minutes.
- Shred the drumhead cabbage and red cabbage and put into the pressure cooker vessel.
- Add in some hoisin sauce and black bean sauce.
- Pour in some chicken stock and stir everything for an even consistency.
- Cook in the pressure cooker for 10 minutes.
- Drain the cabbage and add it to a bowl.
- When the pork is ready, remove it from the oven, cut the string and cut the pork into cubes.
- Put the pork cubes on top of the cooked cabbage and eat with chopsticks.
Please leave a comment